Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Changing the Laws: Part 1 - Exactly what should be changed?

It would appear to me that there are a great many people that believe that the laws should be changed. They seem to agree that the laws are draconian in nature and should do more to protect from the real risks to society rather than throwing a blanket over an entire group because the type of offense is so offensive that the general public is appalled that someone would suggest that we change anything.

It is glaringly apparent that the laws as they are currently are too expensive to even try to carry out, with the tracking they expect the sheer volume of record keeping for even the most efficient office is impossible. The law enforcement agencies know this, the states know this, and it would seem that as individuals the general public sees it as well. Even some of the parents of the children that some of these laws are named after think that the laws have gone too far.

So the question remains... Where do we start in the legislative process to get the ball rolling in the right direction?

Figure out exactly what you want changed, not 'just the law' but what about that law needs to be changed. The reason is, they won't abolish it, that would be foolish, there are monsters out there that do need to be punished and then need to be treated.

Start by studying the law as it is written for your state. I will be using Wisconsin as an example because that is where I live and will be working on the laws here myself. I have to put out my disclaimer right now though. I am not a lawyer, I am not a politician, I am just a wife of a sex offender that want to make a difference for my husband, myself and others in our situation. I do not know if these suggestions will work ultimately, but I have to try.

Wisconsin Sex Offender Law Information: http://wilawlibrary.gov/topics/justi...sexassault.php
This link is to a page of all sorts of information, the statues are towards the bottom of the page.

51.375 - Honesty testing of sex offenders
http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gat...tats&jd=51.375
This law is about administering and utilizing a polygraph not only in treatment but in court proceedings for civil commitment. In our courts of law a polygraphy is not admissible, yet here it can be used in court proceedings that pertain to the civil commitment of the offender. I can see why they would like to use it in treatment as a tool, but not as part of a proceeding that will determine if a person is ever allowed back into society.

This is just one small example of how the laws as they are written single out the sex offender.

No comments:

Post a Comment