Monday, February 29, 2016

“I couldn’t breathe:” State changes course after placing rapist within blocks of his victim | FOX6Now.com

“I couldn’t breathe:” State changes course after placing rapist within blocks of his victim | FOX6Now.com



While I understand her justifiable reaction to her attacker to have moved so close in proximity.  But if he has been treated, he is following the rules, and is attempting to reintegrate back into the community then he should have been allowed to stay where he had rented.  There were no laws preventing it, just media pressure that started with the victim.



Domestically abused women do not have the luxury of someone wearing a GPS monitor and being under the kind of strict supervision that this man is under.  Domestic abusers are far more likely to reoffend against their same victim repeatedly regardless of protection order or being told 'not to'.



Yes victims have rights and shouldn't have to suffer any more than necessary, but I also believe that part of the healing process is facing the fear of seeing your offender again and knowing that not only did you survive and prosper that even though sometimes it may not always feel that way, it is a fear that is conquered more and more each time there is a chance run-in.  I know this because even after 12 years from when I was abused by my ex, when I see him the same fears, panic and need to run the other direction can paralyze me.  But each time I face them, it gets better and less traumatic.



Something to think about for victims, facing the fears is part of the healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment